Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Pathetic Display By Alaska's Political "Leaders"

A story this morning in the Anchorage Daily News on a welcome-home/political rally for embattle Senator Ted Stevens caught my eye. The event was packed with pro-Stevens loyalists, all of whom seem to still back Stevens for re-election next week. Spurred on by Stevens' speech where he assailed what he believes was the Justice Department's misconduct in prosecuting him, the Alaskans there disregarded his convictions, with many apparently calling the DC jury's findings irrelevant and even illegitimate. Here's what I am talking about:

"Anyone who thinks you can get a fair trial in the heart of liberalism, Washington, D.C., is smoking dope. He was railroaded," said Mark Kelliher, a retired engineer.

Talk radio host Rick Rydell told the crowd he knows Stevens, a D.C. jury doesn't.

"I don't particularly like it when outsiders tell me what to do," Rydell said, before Stevens took the stage. "You can kiss my Alaska moose-hunting behind."

I realize that Mr. Rydell is trying to gin up political support here, but his comment is particularly stupid. I would wager a steak dinner that just about every single juror who found Senator Stevens guilty has no idea that Stevens is facing Mark Begich in a contest next week, and those that might could care less. They couldn't pick out Democrat Mark Begich from Mark Twain. Therefore, I am not sure that the jurors perceived their verdict as somehow trying to impact Alaskans' voting patterns. But to each his own, I guess.

However, I wanted to make this post because another section of the article really rankled me. Here is it:

The crowd cheered and shouted, "We trust you," over and over again as he spoke. Former governor Bill Sheffield, former Anchorage mayor George Wuerch, and mayoral candidate Dan Sullivan were there. So was Alaska's junior U.S. senator, Republican Lisa Murkowski, who told the Stevens supporters they need to get their neighbors and co-workers out to support Stevens.

Note that excluding Sarah Palin and Sean Parnell, these individuals are some of Alaska's top political leaders, both past and present (and while Don Young was not there physically, we have already posted that he has basically endorsed Stevens' re-election and called his verdict illegitimate), standing on stage and in full support of a man who was just convicted in Federal Court of seven felonies. Seven. This is a pathetic and embarrassing display from people who are supposed to lead.

I am all for loyalty in life and politics. I think there is not enough loyalty in politics with politicians running away from lifelong friends and allies the instant the relationship begins to hurt them. I applauded Senator Mike Crapo when they stood with Larry Craig after his embarrassing incident came to light. I felt that the media was playing the story way too much, and the way that Craig's colleagues instantly abandoned him -- while, incidentally, standing with Stevens after he was indicted on corruption charges -- was digusting. So, I respected Crapo for that, I respect loyalty in politics immensely.

Here, this is no longer about loyalty. Stevens had the benefit of being presumed innocent after his indictment. He was just convicted. He is a felon and he commited serious crimes. He should resign and disappear, and other leaders, while they should not necessarily pile on him, should not under any circumstances actively support him for another term in office.

Also, let me get one more thing straight. So, because Stevens was not tried in Alaska -- for crimes he technically committed in Washington, mind you -- his trial was baloney, and only a trial in front of an Alaska jury would have been fair? Oh, okay, now I understand. What a dumb "argument." Does Alaska have its own separate system of justice? Last time I checked, Alaska was one of the 50 states, and thus subject to federal law. (Then again, I know there are many people, including Sarah Palin's husband, who would prefer to have Alaska secede from the Union.)

And no, I am not being negative about Stevens. I am merely saying that elected leaders should show some true leadership and not campaign for a felon and seek to undermine the findings of a federal jury for political purposes. All of these "leaders" at the rally, but especially the gutless and useless Lisa Murkowski -- who is only in power today because her daddy appointed her to the Senate -- should be embarrassed.

No comments: