Friday, October 31, 2008

"I have not been convicted of anything"

I may have to go back on my word not to harshly criticize Ted Stevens in the wake of his conviction. His continued actions and words compel me to do so. Here is what Ted Stevens said yesterday in his "debate" with Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich:

"I have not been convicted of anything."

That is not taken out of context. Check the link to see for yourself.

What a disgrace. Ted Stevens is simply an embarrassment. I realize now that the best thing that can happen Tuesday for both Alaska and the country is for Stevens to be trounced at the polls. While I am not confident that this will happen, anything less would basically be condoning Stevens' reprehensible and utterly selfish behavior. Let Stevens be a lesson for anyone on the danger of hanging on to power too long and arrogantly believing they are above the law.

One more thing. I realize the debate moderators were in a difficult position with Stevens incredibly showing up at the debate and continuing to campaign. As a result, they were compelled, more or less, to ask him questions like any other candidate seeking office. Still, I consider this "debate" nothing more than a farce. That these moderators sat there and asked Stevens various questions not associated with his conviction was pathetic. I know that they have a job to appear objective, but at the same time, you can be excused from complete objectivity when of the two candidates on the stage is a just-convicted felon. (And I also know that this is a partial transcript of the debate, but from what I am reading, I am not impressed with the moderators' work here.)

Stevens was just convicted of seven felonies in federal court. You want that number again? Seven. I encourage you to click on the story link and read the (partial) transcript of the event. It is surreal. As Begich himself noted in an answer, Stevens' own colleagues, including the GOP leader, Mitch McConnell, have guaranteed that he will be expelled if he comes back. If Alaskans think that Stevens' conviction was embarrassing, his expulsion from the Senate would be a black-mark on the state and its people.

I believe that Stevens is doing this solely for himself. While I think that Republicans want him to win in order to put Sarah Palin in the seat, Stevens is truly, honestly running to get re-elected because he thinks he is entitled to it. If there was ever a living, breathing case for term limits, this is it.

No comments: