Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hillary: 'No' to SCOTUS

This morning, word comes that during an upcoming Fox News interview, Hillary Clinton expressed zero interest in a SCOTUS appointment, as well as another future run for the presidency. Here is the money part:

In an interview aired Tuesday on "Fox & Friends" on the Fox News Channel, Clinton, D-N.Y., was asked the chances, on a scale of 1 to 10, that she would be the next majority leader in the Senate.

"Oh, probably zero," she said. "I'm not seeking any other position than to be the best senator from New York that I can be."

Being nominated to the Supreme Court?

"Zero," Clinton said. "I have no interest in doing that."

Running for president again?

"Probably close to zero," she said. "There's an old saying: Bloom where you're planted."

I am sure that some would take this as flat proof that Hillary has no interest in being on the Supreme Court, running for President again, or serving in the leadership of the Senate. Specifically in terms of the High Court, this might well appear as proof of the foolishness of our long-running discussion on the possibility of the Supreme Court. Fair enough. But I still think that this interview does not provide such evidence of a lack of ambition by the New York Senator.

If you believe every word Clinton expressed above, then I have a bridge I would like to sell you in Alaska. There is still no question in mind that Clinton would jump at the chance to serve on the Supreme Court. Can I prove this? No, I can't, but I think I have a good pulse on Clinton's always-burning ambition. I spent several hours debating this issue with a friend on Saturday. He and I could not agree on a great many things, most notably the scope and aim of Senator Clinton's remaining ambition. In my mind, given how the White House race ended up, Hillary's mind has assuredly moved on to other things. Of this belief, I have no doubt.

Of course, this does not imply that a Hillary SCOTUS appointment will happen: as we have discussed ad nauseum, despite the fact that Hillary would be a pleasing choice to most Democrats, an appointment is extremely unlikely to happen under an Obama administration for a host of reasons. This is all just for the fun of the political discussion. It's what we do.

And if you think that Hillary wouldn't run for President again if Obama loses, as she says in the interview, I have two bridges I would like to sell you in Alaska. I'm not saying that that is going to happen -- Hillary, like everyone probably realized a while ago that Obama was very likely to win -- but that does not mean the thought has not crossed her mind. While I have a great deal of respect, admiration and affection for the Clintons, do I believe they truly want Obama to win? No way. Given that her approval ratings today are likely higher than they have ever been, an Obama loss would open the door for another HRC run in 2012. Do not tell me that that thought has not crossed both of their minds, even if it has not escaped their lips.

And finally in terms of the Senate leadership, as we have discussed before, that is harder to say. Inside leadership contests are based enormously on seniority, and with Hillary out of the leadership, she would be behind a long list of Senators including Dick Durbin, Chuck Schumer, Chris Dodd, and others who have been waiting their turn behind current leader Harry Reid. Hillary would have a very hard time vaulting ahead of these men without causing a stir in her caucus.

I guess all I am trying to say is that just because Hillary Clinton says she does not want to be on the Supreme Court, and says she will never again run for President, does not indicate that she really means it. Politicians pivot and lie about their true ambitions and intentions all the time, and as we all know, the Clintons are masters at this art. What was Hillary going to say when asked about? 'Yes! Please make me a Supreme, Barack!'?

No comments: